The dangers of sanitiser highlighted in recent report
A total of 70,000 calls to poison helplines were recorded in the USA between 2011 and 2014 – all to do with children under twelve who had “ingested, inhaled or got hand sanitizer in their eyes”, according to a recent report on the Mirror website.
The article, by Rachel Bishop, quotes a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which observed that five children in this periods lapsed into comas and three had seizures. 91% of the incidents are said to have occurred when children of five years old or younger supposedly “ingested the products by accident.”
Hand washing with soap and water is more effective – and safer
The CDC report was quite clear on it’s recommendation of the most effective hand washing measures – and it’s the tried and tested way that come out top.
“Hand washing with soap and water is the recommended method of hand hygiene in non–health care settings.”
Hand sanitisers can have their place in a preschool setting – if they are used carefully and under qualified adult supervision at all times says the article.
“Caregivers and health care providers need to be aware of the potential risks and dangers associated with improper use of hand sanitiser products among children and the need to use proper safety precautions to protect children.”
Teach hand washing safely – with soap and water!
Hand washing is the most important lesson a child can learn at a preschool or EYFS facility – and acquiring it is an essential lifelong skill.
The Kiddiwash range of warm water hand wash units are perfect for smaller hands – and are ideal where a portable solution is required.